Press Releases Details
A Preview on Endurance at CHI AL SHAQAB 2015
- Publication Date:
- 02/03/15 5:32 PM
- Corporate, CHI AL SHAQAB
The discipline Endurance is the “truly Arabic” equestrian discipline since men got on horses to get to places. From the beginning they choose the fastest and hardiest horse for their travels. In modern times this concept has developed into a discipline of equestrian sport that is part of the World Equestrian Games’ (WEG) programme since its start 1990. The first FEI World championship was held in 1986.
The competition at CHI AL SHAQAB 2015
The international endurance competition of 2*-level goes over 120 kilometres with veterinarians taking care of the horses’ welfare by regularly checking on the status of their fitness. Only if the horse is considered fit enough to continue the horse and rider combination will be allowed out of the what is called “vet gate” again. Only athletes whose horses have passed all the inspections and examinations are entitled to be classified in the final list of results.
Heart rate is the first parameter to be examined and recorded during the inspection. This is an essential criteria to accurately access the horse’s recovery and fitness to continue. The maximum heart rate for passing the inspection will be 64 bpm or as prescribed in the schedule. The winner will aim for an average speed of up to 24 km/h or faster.
Facts & Figures
• 20 riders from 3 countries before entry list closes on Monday, March 2
• Competing countries: Qatar, Kingdom of Saudi-Arabia, Oman
• Largest contingent from Qatar
• 200,000 Euro prize money
Who is who?
• Faleh Bughenaim (QAT) – The feather weight rider was No.1 in the FEI ranking 2014
• Abdulrahman Saad Al Sulaiteen (QAT) – He won Bronze at the World Equestrian Games, the first WEG medal for Qatar. Currently No. 10 in the World Ranking list.
• Nasser Jumah Jassim Al Mohannadi (QAT) – Winner of the CEI at CHI AL SHAQAB 2014. At Pan-Arab Games 2011 in Doha he came 10th when he was only 14 years old.
• Khalid Sanad ALNUAIMI (QAT) – No 5 in the World Ranking List 2015
The time table:
March 7, Saturday
6:00 start for 120 kilometres at Measaid Racetrack. First horse at the finish line is expected around 12:00, six hours after the spectacular mass start. That is if the expected average speed of 24 km/h can be made.